From Giles Sirett <giles.sir...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: OSCON Exhibition and other Activities
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 21:43:22 GMT
Shane
I couldn't agree more - Citrix have done an excellent job of respecting ASF guidelines whilst
contributing heavily to the project .

+1 ( and thanks for )  marks proposal

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541<tel:+44%2020%203603%200541> | M: +44 796 111 2055<tel:+44%20796%20111%202055>

On 12 Jun 2013, at 22:38, "Shane Curcuru" <asf@shanecurcuru.org<mailto:asf@shanecurcuru.org>>
wrote:

These are all excellent questions to ask about our approval for a third party event, and a
good discussion.

>From experience, I know that Citrix has been doing a good job with past events and other
materials at respecting and promoting the Apache brand independently from their own projects
- as well as the actual sponsoring of these kind of items for the project's benefit.  I also
know that many of the Citrix employees who are committers on Apache CloudStack have done a
great job of ensuring it stays that way.

Given that and given the past successful events, I'm quite happy with this plan. I only wish
I could attend this year!

- Shane

On 6/11/2013 2:29 PM, Chip Childers wrote:
(note mixed pub / private lists please)

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 05:35:30PM +0000, Mark Hinkle wrote:
The booth will be a 20x20 space with four pods with tower dedicated to each individual project.
The center will have have a gaming area (XBox) and the Open@Citrix brand for the Citrix Open
Source Office.
Each tower is a clearly distinct project pod for each -- Apache CloudStack, Xen Project,
Linux Foundation's Open Daylight and a fourth project we are working on launching that is
complimentary to the other three.
Each open source project will be offered a 3' table and accompanying wall mounted screen.
On the screen we are asking each project to provide a looping presentation and then on the
desktop they'll  be able to give a demo via a laptop if they so chose.

Here's a rough rendering of the design - http://postimg.org/image/40w0e6vnl/

IMO, this seems fine, and would be a benefit to the Apache CloudStack
project.  trademarks@, could you please review and comment if you have
any concerns.  I'm personally +1.

As for the poker party the even is a Citrix event and then each table would have a placard
with their project logo.We would encourage each project to have members there to in I believe
that some of the Apache members were in attendance last year. I recall we had Gluster, Ceph,
CloudStack, Puppet, etc. I would point out that this is the second time we would be doing
this and we were approved last year and I believe that some of the Apache folks might have
been at the event. We don't plan to modify the format if that was acceptable.

Here are some pictures of last year's event, no overt Citrix branding, each table had a placard
so like-minded individuals could cluster around their favorite projects:

Xen Project Table - See Placard - OSCON branded with Xen Project
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oreillyconf/7610788408/in/set-72157630609904796/lightbox/

A typical table - Robyn Bergeron from Fedora brought the playing cards last year
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oreillyconf/7610789996/in/set-72157630609904796

Sarah Novotny - OSCON Conference chair had a "bounty" prize for whoever knocked her out of
the poker tourney:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oreillyconf/7610792552/in/set-72157630609904796

I'm also personally +1 on the "Apache CloudStack" table at the poker party.  Thanks
for sharing the photos.  It looks like it was a fun event!

I hope that helps.

It did for me.  Thanks for the details Mark.

Please consider this the CloudStack PMC "ACK", so we should leave this
issue open for 72 hours for lazy consensus of the PMC and trademarks@
folks.

We do have the non-software goods to approve when those
designs are ready, but if they use the appropriate logo files
linked to from our trademark guidelines [1] it'll hopefully be an easy
approval.

Regards, Mark

-chip

[1] http://cloudstack.apache.org/trademark-guidelines.html