From Karen Vuong <karen.vu...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: CloudStack Collaboration Conference - Marketing Plan?
Date Wed, 15 May 2013 02:06:53 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Higginbottom [mailto:geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2013 5:08 AM
To: marketing@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: RE: CloudStack Collaboration Conference - Marketing Plan?

I know Giles has been promoting it on the EU LinkedIn Group and I am also promoting via LinkedIn

*I have promoted the CCC13 via LinkedIn to the following groups:

- Open Source
- Build a Cloud
- Cloud Computing
- Cloud Computing, SaaS and Virtualization
- Open Source Cloud Computing Interface
- The Virtualization and Cloud Computing Group

>> Here is what I propose, part of this may have already been done.
>>
>> MeetUp:
>> Reach out to CloudStack Groups and sent a note - I've seen this has
>>been done by Karen for NYC, perhaps there is more groups she has not
>>reached out yet  Reach out to Other User Groups that CloudStack has
>>been presented on in
>>2012/2013 and ask presenters to send a message to user group
>>organizers about CCC13 so they can share with a group members
>
>I think that Karen has done this for known groups.

*Done. I've posted this to the following groups in the discussions section, or as a 'perk'
and asked organizers to send out an announcement.

Cloud Slam - posted in discussions
San Francisco Cloud Mafia - posted to discussions, perks
San Francisco Cloud Computing Group - posted to discussions, perks
Bay area cloud storage -posted to discussions
The Cloud Club -asked organizer to send out the announcement
Open Source Cloud Meetup -asked organizer to send out the announcement
Cloud DC - asked organizer to send out the announcement
Charlotte Cloud Computing - asked organizer to send out the announcement
Washington DC Cloud Club - asked organizer to send out the announcement
SVCCG - organizer will send out an announcement 1 week before early bird pricing deadline
CloudStack DC and NoVa Group - posted to perks

Do we have a list of meeting group leaders? *No

>> LinkedIn:
>> Everyone in linkedin must update their personal status - as going to
>>CCC13
>> Send a note on LinkedIn CloudStack and Cloud groups about CCC13
>> Done.
>
>Has it been promoted in the CloudStack Linked In group (and the EU one)
>yet?

Mark put a comment out there about a call for papers. I don't see anything about the main
conference. So, I just put something up. :-)

>> Twitter:
>> Tweet and ask for retweets
>
>@CloudStack has had lots of tweets scheduled for this already, but
>perhaps we need more?

What we need is people talking about it with the #hashtag. That will generate more buzz. So
if people can get more talk with both #cloudstack and #ccc13 that would help. Got to start
chatting it up.

*Mark has just secured Gene Kim, the author of "The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps,
and Helping Your Business Win" to be a keynote speaker for the CCC13. He will be doing book
signings during the breaks on Day 1 of the conference as well. That's definitely something
that we can start talking about on twitter! Joe can you create a tweet about this on the Apache
CloudStack twitter account? Here is the direct link to the page that provides more info about
Gene Kim as a keynote speaker for the CCC13: http://www.cloudstackcollab.org/keynote1/

>> Mailing List:
>> Already done, but I would send a notice once a week so that new
>>comers can read and perhaps attend
>
>Who wants to take this up?  users@ and dev@ are the right targets IMO.
> Once a week might be too much, but then again we are not that far
>away.

I think it definitely needs to be about once a week, but you have to keep it fresh and updated.
Can't just be the same old same spam every time. I can take this one.

*You can probably talk about Gene Kim as a keynote speaker and Chip Childers will be doing
a keynote on Day 1 as well.

>> CloudStack.org:
>> Needs to have a large banner about CCC13 on the main page
>
>Hmm...  that's a reasonable idea.  What do others think?

Totally agree with this. It's not only to get the people in the community there, but people
who are interested in the community as well.

*I agree. I can create a hi-res banner for the website on Thursday of this week.

>> Wikipedia:
>> Needs to have a link and notice to CCC13
>>

>Not sure if that's "legal", but somebody can certainly try!  I'd add a
>"Conferences" section, and then link to both the 2012 one and this one.
>You'll need to cite the announcements probably.
>
>> Facebook:
>> The main image with 2 screens needs to have CCC13 notice
>
>I don't "do" facebook, so I leave this to whomever (Joe?) has that access.

* I can create a hi-res image for this on Thursday of this week.

>> If you think of more let me know, lets divide and conquer.

Blogs

-Once the program is announced, we will start seeing a lot of blog posts from the companies
of speakers that have a talk accepted. I noticed that during the last CCC. I'll write a blog
post on buildacloud.org and I have about five folks in mind who I can ask to write a blog
post for their sites.

Event Sections on Websites

-I've posted the CCC13 on about 10 different open source event websites.

Invitation postcards

Sent 50 to Kelly Hair and 50 to Ilya M.
Sent 50 to Sebastien Stadil at Scalr
Sent 400 to CloudCon Expo SF as conference bag inserts
Sent 800 to LinuxCon Japan / CloudOpen as conference bag inserts

Media Alert

- We could send out a media alert to the press list that was used for the ACS graduation press
release. In the media alert we could offer the members of the press an opportunity to speak
to some of the members of the project
- List who would be available from the Apache CloudStack project for interviews June 23rd-25th.
- Include some info who will be the keynote speakers, companies that are participating, etc.

- I think this should be sent after the program is announced (June 1st) on June 2nd.
- I could help schedule the interviews between the press and ACS members.

Best regards,

Karen

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

>> Here is what I propose, part of this may have already been done.
>>
>> MeetUp:
>> Reach out to CloudStack Groups and sent a note - I've seen this has
>>been done by Karen for NYC, perhaps there is more groups she has not
>>reached out yet  Reach out to Other User Groups that CloudStack has
>>been presented on in
>>2012/2013 and ask presenters to send a message to user group
>>organizers about CCC13 so they can share with a group members
>
>I think that Karen has done this for known groups.

Do we have a list of meeting group leaders?

>> LinkedIn:
>> Everyone in linkedin must update their personal status - as going to
>>CCC13
>> Send a note on LinkedIn CloudStack and Cloud groups about CCC13
>>

>Has it been promoted in the CloudStack Linked In group (and the EU one)
>yet?

Mark put a comment out there about a call for papers. I don't see anything about the main
conference. So, I just put something up. :-)

>> Twitter:
>> Tweet and ask for retweets
>
>@CloudStack has had lots of tweets scheduled for this already, but
>perhaps we need more?

What we need is people talking about it with the #hashtag. That will generate more buzz. So
if people can get more talk with both #cloudstack and #ccc13 that would help. Got to start
chatting it up.

>> Mailing List:
>> Already done, but I would send a notice once a week so that new
>>comers can read and perhaps attend
>
>Who wants to take this up?  users@ and dev@ are the right targets IMO.
> Once a week might be too much, but then again we are not that far
>away.

I think it definitely needs to be about once a week, but you have to keep it fresh and updated.
Can't just be the same old same spam every time. I can take this one.

>> CloudStack.org:
>> Needs to have a large banner about CCC13 on the main page
>
>Hmm...  that's a reasonable idea.  What do others think?

Totally agree with this. It's not only to get the people in the community there, but people
who are interested in the community as well.

>> Wikipedia:
>> Needs to have a link and notice to CCC13
>>

>Not sure if that's "legal", but somebody can certainly try!  I'd add a
>"Conferences" section, and then link to both the 2012 one and this one.
>You'll need to cite the announcements probably.
>
>> Facebook:
>> The main image with 2 screens needs to have CCC13 notice
>
>I don't "do" facebook, so I leave this to whomever (Joe?) has that access.
>

>> If you think of more let me know, lets divide and conquer.
>>
>> Regards
>> ilya

is a registered trademark.