From Kelly Hair <kelly.h...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [EVENT] HPDC conference
Date Wed, 15 May 2013 17:33:19 GMT
I was wondering about that as well.  Of the HPC workloads in the cloud, it
looks like a majority of these are being placed in the public cloud and at
AWS based on the bursty nature.   Cycle Computing is making a name for
itself with both Financial Services (quants) & with Pharma (tests/trials).
  Private clouds would make sense for data that could either not be
anonymized (US focus) for for any data (Europe).

Bristol Myers Squibb recently presented at the AWS Summit in NYC last
month and shared the following:

How they use AWS:
- VPN to AWS
- Created a VPC
- They create their own AMIs
- they created a self provisioning portal that consumes the EC2 API.

Time saved on a single run using AWS to spin up infrastructure as they
need it. AWS Cloud takes 1.2 hours per run & at a cost of only $336 per
run.

Reduced the length of a clinical trial from 2.5 years to 1.7 years (faster
time to market)

Benefits:
- time & money savings
- Reduced patient burden (bigger benefit - soft cost)