From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Packt Book - Publish on our website?
Date Fri, 24 May 2013 22:01:49 GMT
On 24 May 2013 21:54, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Quite flabbergasted actually. What's wrong with a book icon on a webpage ?

We've been over the opposing arguments several time in this thread.

> Checking their book for sanity is a 10 minute deal, one evening if you
> want to be thorough.

I think you underestimate how much time it takes to review a book for
quality. Or perhaps we have different interpretations of what a review
would comprise. Note that David spent several evenings on this (I believe)
before he found a problem.

> We are spending more time discussing it than it would take doing it.
> Having the Packt book is terrific, there is no being neutral about this.

Discussion-lead consensus-building is an important part of how we make
decisions. :) And it's up to the community to decide how neutral or
circumspect we wish to be about third-party resources.

On 24 May 2013 22:06, Kelcey Jamison Damage <kelcey@bbits.ca> wrote:

>  I can't imagine this has anything to do with the quality of work at this
> point but is primarily a political discussion.

Yes, I believe we are talking about the general case here. (Note: not
"political" but "project".)

> I do think the fact I hammered into Packt the value of being a friend of
> the community and following our rules, and product usage guidelines
> resulted in an offer to donate 2% of revenue to the project, is another
> strong gesture of positivity.

Agreed. Similarly, when people donate to us, they get a mention on
http://www.apache.org/foundation/thanks.html — but nothing more. We never
endorse people in return for their contributions.

> A lot of time and effort went into this book from a community perspective
> and not a commercial one. Yes someone is making money, but at least Packt
> reached out and got committers and community members to
> co-write/advise/edit the book prior to publication, and then after
> publication reached back out to the community. Those action have impressed
> me greatly.

I don't think anyone has any problem with people making money off the back
of CloudStack. Strikes me as a great thing!

> I am not sure how assisting the community in locating print materials is
> bad for us in any way.

The arguments have been covered a few times in this thread already.

--
NS