From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] List CloudStack related books on the website
Date Tue, 28 May 2013 17:14:52 GMT
I would like to mirror Chip's comments and also distance myself a bit
from Ilya's comments.

IMO, writing a book is a significant contribution to Apache CloudStack. I
don't care about that person's involvement on the mailing lists. In fact, I
think we should promote any book about CloudStack that would be beneficial
to our community. Even if it's written by someone we don't know. To exclude
people from that promotion based on social ties or community involvement is
antithetical to our mission.

Additionally, I hope people profiteer from our efforts on CloudStack. I
wish them every success. That is also what we are here for. There is no
preferential treatment of for-profit or not-for-profit enterprise.

My only concern is that by putting the book on the website, we introduce an
"approvals process". i.e. Authors have to ask us to add the book to the
website. On the one hand, that will let us vet them (a good thing for
quality and anti-spam), but a bad thing if we end up turning people away
because they're "not sufficiently known in the community" or turning books
away for any for no good reason*.

* "no good reason" is going to be contentious. I think as long as the book
is related to CloudStack, we ought to mention it. But if we put this stuff
on the website instead of letting it live on the wiki, people are going to
start holding it to a higher standard, and I can imagine arguments about
whether a book is "good enough", etc. And that's a can of worms, IMO.

--
NS