From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Packt Book - Publish on our website?
Date Sat, 25 May 2013 18:36:08 GMT
On 25 May 2013 14:35, Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> WE need to support these guys  however we can, within ASF rules.

There are no ASF rules about this. *We* get to write them for *our*
project. :)

> HAL -LEL- UJAH.

+1000

> quasi-censorship because they may make a few dollars out of it.

Strawman argument. I don't believe anybody has expressed issues with this
being a commercial work.

> And, before anybody  calls me on this: yes, I believe  the same applies
> (currently) to training courses, complementary technologies  or ANYTHING
> else that can help drive people into this community.

Agreed. We just need to be clear on how we handle this from a project
perspective so that we maintain neutrality (perceived and otherwise).
(Technically, we don't. We could decide we want to endorse things. I just
don't think it's a particularly good idea.)

> We SHOULD create an "external resources" page on the website as a place
> for anything that has a commercial lilt.

Why not put it on the wiki so that anybody can edit it? And link to it from
our homepage sidebar? (From the perspective of the person visiting our
website, this makes the page as prominent as anything on our website.)

--
NS