From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Packt Book - Publish on our website?
Date Sat, 25 May 2013 17:07:39 GMT
+1

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom
CTO / Cloud Architect

D: +44 20 3603 0542<tel:+442036030542> | S: +44 20 3603 0540<tel:+442036030540>|
M: +447968161581<tel:+447968161581>

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com<mailto:geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com> |www.shapeblue.com
| Twitter:@shapeblue<https://twitter.com/#!/shapeblue>

On 25 May 2013, at 14:36, "Giles Sirett" <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com<mailto:giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>>
wrote:

I've been following this thread very closely  for the last few days , but been travelling,
so not been able to jump in
I feel very strongly on this subject and is about to cause  me to have my first on-list rant
I think............

I think we are just plain crazy if we do not provide a link to this book. A clear link, not
buried in a blog.

Right now, we do not have the luxury of a vibrant ecosystem of books, events,education,integrating
 techs,etc   around this community (I know lots of people are working very hard, but its not
enough IMO) . Lets face it, we need more momentum and   lets face it, we NEED people to do
commercial things like this.
WE need to support these guys  however we can, within ASF rules.

These guys (I don’t know them) have taken time (and no doubt money) and put that into creating
a book about OUR technology .
HAL -LEL- UJAH.
This is a VERY good thing, this will help people learn our tech, this will encourage people
to get involved, it  is a sign of maturity to the outside world   and  we should be telling
the world about that, not trying to do some quasi-censorship because they may make a few dollars
out of it.

I'm sure the book will have some mistakes, it may even be a poor book by some peoples standards.
But it’s a book. About cloudstack. That is a VERY good thing. *IF* we ever get to the point
where we've got lots of competing books, then lets think about who's we list and in what order
at that point (or,even, if we continue to list at all)

Obviously we need to the "this is not directly endorsed, other books are available and your
home is at risk if you don’t keep up the repayments"  thing, but please, lets make sure
we support people doing things like this.

And, before anybody  calls me on this: yes, I believe  the same applies (currently) to training
courses, complementary technologies  or ANYTHING else that can help drive people into this
community.

So, here is my proposal:
We SHOULD create an "external resources" page on the website as a place for anything that
has a commercial lilt.
That page should carry the health warning (i.e. we don’t endorse,etc)
That page should list books, training courses, complementary  techs -anybody who we can consider
a "partner" of ACS.

Under the framework of all things having the health warning (i.e. its clear that we're not
endorsing) , then we can go for lazy consensus style in order for something to be listed there.

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com<mailto:Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com>