From Kimihiko Kitase <Kimihiko.Kit...@citrix.co.jp>
Subject RE: [VOTE] List CloudStack related books on the website
Date Tue, 28 May 2013 09:01:31 GMT
+1

-----Original Message-----
From: David Nalley [mailto:david@gnsa.us]
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 12:09 PM
To: marketing@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [VOTE] List CloudStack related books on the website

On Monday, May 27, 2013, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After a relatively long discussion on the marketing@ list about the
> "Packt Book" [1] I would like to call a vote.
>
> Proposal:
> ----------------
> I propose to list CloudStack related books on our website [2]. The
> page listing these books would contain the following disclaimer:
>
> "This listing does not represent official endorsement by the Apache
> CloudStack project. The Apache CloudStack project does not recommend
> one book versus another nor does it guarantee the quality of the books."
>
> Inclusion of a book in the listing would be done via a vote on the
> marketing@ list.
> ----------------
>
> As a quick summary, alternatives to this proposal were to:
> 1-not do anything
> 2-list the books on the wiki
>
> A few of us have already expressed their opinions and discussed the
> possibilities. Check [1].
>
> Vote will be open for 96 hours (To accommodate Memorial day in the USA).
>
> Reply with:
>
> [ ] +1  approve
> [ ] +0  no opinion
> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
>
> PS: If edits of the disclaimer are needed but that they do not change
> the meaning of it, the disclaimer will be modified but the vote will
> not be restarted.
>
> [1] http://markmail.org/thread/r4qdmbonmx6yq2uv
> [2] http://cloudstack.apache.org
>
> -Sebastien

+1 (binding)

There are currently, to my knowledge, 3 books in print about CloudStack, and at least two
more in process. We want people to write about CloudStack.
We, IMO, should encourage their efforts, and reward their support of the project. (Really,
writing a book is not fun, and is a lot of work - as Joe so often reminds me, 'everyone wants
to have written a book, no one wants to write a book' :) ) Books are also a telltale sign
that a project has enough external critical mass that a publisher is willing to invest the
money and effort into publishing a book about it. We should provide as much encouragement
and incentive for those in a place to make such decisions.

--David