From Giles Sirett <giles.sir...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: cloudstack survey [discuss]
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 17:29:57 GMT
OK everybody
Please now consider this survey live
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/28BV97D

I'm going to post into @users and @dev right now and some of the linkedin groups

I'd appreciate if people are able to promote, share , encourage as many people as they know
(who ARE using ACS) to respond

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Chip Childers [mailto:chip.childers@sungard.com]
Sent: 31 May 2013 16:24
To: marketing@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: cloudstack survey [discuss]

Good work Giles.

I have two *minor* changes to the text of the questions:

For (1), the "We would be happy to participate in further marketing activities to help support
Cloudstack" option is confusingly unrelated to the other 3 options.

For (7), please remove the "Apache" portion of the product names for 2.x and 3.x.  Those versions
are pre-Apache.  I think you can get away with not adding "Cloud.com" or "Citrix" to those
versions.

As for the results, I would like a raw result dump to be sent to private@cloudstack.apache.org
so that we have a record of it within the private archives.  Other than that, IMO you are
good to go with it.  I think that you'll probably need to do the paid month, or be restricted
to 100 respondents.

-chip

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 09:50:34AM +0000, Giles Sirett wrote:
> All
>
> I have *tried* to take on board all comments and come up with this new
> version http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/28BV97D
>
> please look at the survey  before you comment
>
> I've kept it still to 10 questions as IMO, it needs to be short.
> I've no  objection to adding more if people feel strongly (I'm quite happy to spend the
$24) , but I'd just like to keep the overall number down in order to maximise responses.

> There have been a few  suggestions for new questions around:
> 1. industry vertical
> 2. Release cycle
> 3. community support
> 4. WHY people chose ACS
>
> If people feel strongly that those questions should be included, then
> can they post onlist the exact question (and responses) that  they
> wish to ask (and maybe *why* its important to ask that). I'd like
> those to be agreed here before I re-edit
>
> Also, if anybody feels that any of the questions  could be dropped,
> then say so (so I can try to keep the numbers down)
>
> Theres also been some comments around providing more structure to some of the responses
(i.e. list features that people may want to see instead of just a text box)
> I agree with that concept 100%, BUT from experience, creating and agreeing such choices
becomes a project in itself. For every one that somebody thinks of, somebody else will have
something different or will want them worded differently.   I therefore think that the free
text style is a sensible compromise.

> I've tried to get a balance on collecting org name,etc: its optional,
> but I encourage  people to provide if possible
>

> PROCESS
> OK, so I (Giles) am collecting this on behalf of the community. Its
> sat in a surveymonkey account linked to my email address (i.e its nothing to do with
my company) As previously, the community has my commitment that this data is SOLELY to be
used for this survey.

> Once we've collected responses, I intend to de-duplicate and cross
> reference other known installs (from Marks slide & any  other sources available)
I will produce summarised, anonymous results for public distribution.

> To verify this process, I'd like to ask a committer (hint: Sebastien)
> to work on that with me on the analysis. I will share access to the
> sureveymonkey account with that committer, but will not post on this
> public list
>
> Once we've done the analysis, we will destroy the source data Only
> exception to this: if people say that they ARE happy for us to mention
> their names, then I suggest that we write to them afterwards to check
> that they are authorised to do so,etc
>

> If anybody is uncomfortable with that process, then say so. I would
> like to *try* and get this closed out today
>
> Kind Regards
> Giles
>
> D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055 Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

is a registered trademark.