From Giles Sirett <giles.sir...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: Weekly News Items?
Date Thu, 02 May 2013 18:14:56 GMT
Chip - thanks for that.

+1 on including other announcements that include ACS news....  I am ( probably  like you)
in a privileged  position in that I know what a lot of what is going on in the commercial
space around ACS.....  I know what SatckIQ are up to, I know what Citrix are up to ,I know
what the other dozens of vendors are up to. There may be many folks in this community who
are not as aware and may actually find it useful to know what people are doing.

I really appreciate that this is getting into a very  murky area and will have to be carefully
watched

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Chip Childers [mailto:chip.childers@sungard.com]
Sent: 02 May 2013 18:48
To: marketing@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: Weekly News Items?

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 05:38:46PM +0000, Giles Sirett wrote:
> Chip, I've been very clear, this *is* a commercial offering, we will be making money.
ShapeBlue makes its money out of services around Cloudstack. This is what we do to feed our
kids.

> These courses have been in development for some time, we have invested
> time & money  in creating a structured course with classroom & online version
and also a whole set of hands-on labs. To be frank, I would expect *some* degree of support
from the community on this. I'm taking a commercial risk, creating something that that surely
can only help ACS long term I have offered/donated  20% of the places on the Santa Clara course
to the community free of charge.

> I am really  trying   to make sure that we respect the rules & governance of the
project (which I have to do carefully as we are a vendor  who primarily  are about CloudStack).
I think we've always managed to do that (if we haven't, I would like to be told).

> However, if there is a training course being run in our technology , then people should
know about it; and it SHOULD be in a weekly news update IMO.
> If the course was being run by somebody else, I would say the same thing.; I would want
to know about it.  We should not refuse to mention it because somebody is making some money
out of it.

> I am not asking for endorsement, I am asking  to help communicate something that people
may find useful & want to purchase.

I want to be *very* clear that I'm not against community support for what you are doing.
The specific concern I had was about "endorsement" of a commercial "service" and the implication
it would have for how we would treat commercial "product" announcements.

However, looking back through past discussions on this topic, I believe the overriding point
is that as long as we are consistent and open about inclusion, there are no problems.  As
stated, this is a pointer to something.

In fact, I think that we should consider pointing to product announcements that include CloudStack
news as well (example: we could have pointed to http://www.stackiq.com/products/rocks-cloud/
when it was announced).

I'll sit down now...  +1 for adding it.

Thanks for being patient as I got through my own muddled thoughts in full view of everyone...
;-)

is a registered trademark.