From Kelcey Jamison Damage <kel...@bbits.ca>
Subject Re: Packt Book - Publish on our website?
Date Fri, 24 May 2013 21:06:21 GMT
Not to mention the book was reviewed by a committer before it was published and also reviewed
by 'a major cloudstack commercial consultant'

The two of us were content enough to have our names attached to it. And the two entities have
a fairly good reputation. I can't imagine this has anything to do with the quality of work
at this point but is primarily a political discussion.

I do think the fact I hammered into Packt the value of being a friend of the community and
following our rules, and product usage guidelines resulted in an offer to donate 2% of revenue
to the project, is another strong gesture of positivity.

A lot of time and effort went into this book from a community perspective and not a commercial
one. Yes someone is making money, but at least Packt reached out and got committers and community
members to co-write/advise/edit the book prior to publication, and then after publication
reached back out to the community. Those action have impressed me greatly.

I am not sure how assisting the community in locating print materials is bad for us in any
way.

Maybe I'm not seeing it correctly.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sebastien Goasguen" <runseb@gmail.com>
To: marketing@cloudstack.apache.org
Cc: "Ilya Musayev" <imusayev@webmd.net>
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 1:54:37 PM
Subject: Re: Packt Book - Publish on our website?

On May 24, 2013, at 4:21 PM, Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 08:12:45PM +0000, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
>> Joe you have a good point.
>>
>> I guess the best solution is to exclude any books from the site. If you want to endorse
a book,  do it on your blog.

>> Fair to everyone. Good book will be noticed on amazon (or elsewhere)  and praised
by readers. We don't need to endorse good or bad books,  neither do we have to spend our time
reviewing them and/or be responsible for any mistakes,  or hurt someone's feeling for not
choosing their book.

>> Best option in my opinion is to be neutral.
>
> Well summarized Ilya.
>
> I'm +1 on what Ilya is suggesting WRT the site itself.
>
> I think that we should feel free to highlight it in our project blog
> though...  we selectively note blog posts of interest there, as well
> as (for example) events like the upcoming ShapeBlue training courses.
> So we are already implicitly doing a little bit of editorial selection
> in that communication channel (with the goal of highlighting things we
> think might be of interest to readers).
>
> -chip

I am -1 on this (-1000 If I could)

Quite flabbergasted actually. What's wrong with a book icon on a webpage ?
Packt was nice enough to email us (not sure if this was PMC only).

Checking their book for sanity is a 10 minute deal, one evening if you want to be thorough.
We are not talking about editing it, we are talking about making sure its not a book about
openstack with a cloudstack titleā€¦or a XXX book, or a book written in a mix of english and
french.

We can easily have a "sanity check" process on this list, with a lazy consensus vote. If we
want we can force this vote to have at least one PMC vote.

On the webpage we can write a disclaimer that specifically says "this does not represent official
endorsement by the Apache CloudStack project".

We are spending more time discussing it than it would take doing it. Having the Packt book
is terrific, there is no being neutral about this.

-Sebastien