From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Packt Book - Publish on our website?
Date Fri, 24 May 2013 22:06:57 GMT

On May 24, 2013, at 6:01 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> On 24 May 2013 21:54, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Quite flabbergasted actually. What's wrong with a book icon on a webpage ?
>>

> We've been over the opposing arguments several time in this thread.

Not well enough apparently because I still don't get them.

>> Checking their book for sanity is a 10 minute deal, one evening if you
>> want to be thorough.
>

> I think you underestimate how much time it takes to review a book for
> quality. Or perhaps we have different interpretations of what a review
> would comprise. Note that David spent several evenings on this (I believe)
> before he found a problem.

I have reviewed many books/papers , I don't think I underestimate things.
I am not talking about proof reading or editing a book. I am talking about a "sanity check".

We are not in a position to review or edit since the book is published.

>> We are spending more time discussing it than it would take doing it.
>> Having the Packt book is terrific, there is no being neutral about this.
>>

> Discussion-lead consensus-building is an important part of how we make
> decisions. :) And it's up to the community to decide how neutral or
> circumspect we wish to be about third-party resources.
>

> On 24 May 2013 22:06, Kelcey Jamison Damage <kelcey@bbits.ca> wrote:
>
>> I can't imagine this has anything to do with the quality of work at this
>> point but is primarily a political discussion.
>>

> Yes, I believe we are talking about the general case here. (Note: not
> "political" but "project".)
>

>> I do think the fact I hammered into Packt the value of being a friend of
>> the community and following our rules, and product usage guidelines
>> resulted in an offer to donate 2% of revenue to the project, is another
>> strong gesture of positivity.
>>

> Agreed. Similarly, when people donate to us, they get a mention on
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/thanks.html — but nothing more. We never
> endorse people in return for their contributions.

And I don't believe Kelcey and I are talking about "endorsing", I specifically mentioned a
disclaimer that would say "we do not endorse"