From Kelcey Jamison Damage <kel...@bbits.ca>
Subject Re: Packt Book - Publish on our website?
Date Wed, 22 May 2013 20:37:37 GMT
And that is absolutely fair.

But we must agree as the organization that we are going to screen books, and if that's the
case we need to accept the perceived endorsements we are making. We also need to ensure we
gauge every book in a fair manner so we can clearly tell authors who are not accepted the
reasons behind the choice as to not appear arbitrary.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Brockmeier" <jzb@zonker.net>
To: marketing@cloudstack.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:30:35 PM
Subject: Re: Packt Book - Publish on our website?

On Wed, May 22, 2013, at 03:25 PM, Kelcey Jamison Damage wrote:
> Hmm, I apologize for the content of the CloudStack book.... lol

Heh. I haven't seen anything of the Packt book except the cover, so I'm
not basing my comments on its contents. (The cover seems nice enough...)
This is more about the likelihood that we'll see several more CloudStack
books in the next year or two and we should firm up our policy on
whether we point to them off cloudstack.apache.org now.

> Well, you could make the restriction any book that a committer was
> involved in..... And then blame the crap out of us if it sucks.
>
> That works too.

"Involved in" might be too broad. Unless you're actually one of the
authors, the control over the final content is limited. (I've tech
reviewed books where they took my suggestions and there was actual
collaboration, and I've tech reviewed/edited books where it felt like I
was throwing suggestions over a wall and the final product didn't
reflect my suggestions/comments in the least.

Books authored by committers might be a good metric.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier