From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: cloudstack survey [discuss]
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 15:24:12 GMT
Good work Giles.

I have two *minor* changes to the text of the questions:

For (1), the "We would be happy to participate in further marketing
activities to help support Cloudstack" option is confusingly unrelated
to the other 3 options.

For (7), please remove the "Apache" portion of the product names for 2.x
and 3.x.  Those versions are pre-Apache.  I think you can get away with
not adding "Cloud.com" or "Citrix" to those versions.

As for the results, I would like a raw result dump to be sent to
private@cloudstack.apache.org so that we have a record of it within the
private archives.  Other than that, IMO you are good to go with it.  I
think that you'll probably need to do the paid month, or be restricted to 100
respondents.

-chip

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 09:50:34AM +0000, Giles Sirett wrote:
> All
>
> I have *tried* to take on board all comments and come up with this new version
> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/28BV97D
>
> please look at the survey  before you comment
>
> I've kept it still to 10 questions as IMO, it needs to be short.
> I've no  objection to adding more if people feel strongly (I'm quite happy to spend the
$24) , but I'd just like to keep the overall number down in order to maximise responses.

> There have been a few  suggestions for new questions around:
> 1. industry vertical
> 2. Release cycle
> 3. community support
> 4. WHY people chose ACS
>
> If people feel strongly that those questions should be included, then can they post onlist
the exact question (and responses) that  they wish to ask (and maybe *why* its important to
ask that). I'd like those to be agreed here before I re-edit

> Also, if anybody feels that any of the questions  could be dropped, then say so (so I
can try to keep the numbers down)

> Theres also been some comments around providing more structure to some of the responses
(i.e. list features that people may want to see instead of just a text box)
> I agree with that concept 100%, BUT from experience, creating and agreeing such choices
becomes a project in itself. For every one that somebody thinks of, somebody else will have
something different or will want them worded differently.   I therefore think that the free
text style is a sensible compromise.

> I've tried to get a balance on collecting org name,etc: its optional, but I encourage
 people to provide if possible

> PROCESS
> OK, so I (Giles) am collecting this on behalf of the community. Its sat in a surveymonkey
account linked to my email address (i.e its nothing to do with my company)
> As previously, the community has my commitment that this data is SOLELY to be used for
this survey.

> Once we've collected responses, I intend to de-duplicate and cross reference other known
installs (from Marks slide & any  other sources available)
> I will produce summarised, anonymous results for public distribution.
>
> To verify this process, I'd like to ask a committer (hint: Sebastien) to work on that
with me on the analysis. I will share access to the  sureveymonkey account with that committer,
but will not post on this public list

> Once we've done the analysis, we will destroy the source data
> Only exception to this: if people say that they ARE happy for us to mention their names,
then I suggest that we write to them afterwards to check that they are authorised to do so,etc

> If anybody is uncomfortable with that process, then say so. I would like to *try* and
get this closed out today

> Kind Regards
> Giles
>
> D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
> Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

is a registered trademark.