From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] List CloudStack related books on the website
Date Tue, 28 May 2013 17:06:43 GMT
On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 04:56:46PM +0000, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
> PS:  I do see an overwhelming benefit of the book to educate new ACS users, and benefits
at this moment  may outweighs the negatives I've mentioned. I can lower my vote to "0", but
I would strongly suggest we revise this in the near future as more books come on board and
we just blindly promote books and let others profiteer from ACS efforts.

The ASF is specifically structured to support commercial use of it's work.
The license is designed to be commercially friendly on purpose.
Most of us are using the software within a commercial setting
(a distribution, a cloud provider (internal or external), consulting services,
etc...).  Commerce is a good thing.

As for the vote:

I've been thinking more about this issue over the weekend.  There are 2
considerations for me:

1) As a project, we want to continue to grow and diversify both users
and contributors.

Showcasing work in the ecosystem (books, software that integrated into
ACS, etc...) helps with that goal.

2) As a project within the ASF, we want to ensure that our project
remains an open and equal environment.

There is ASF precedent to go either way with this, so there are no
issues procedurally or at the foundation level for us to be concerned
with really (beyond the overarching goal to remain open to all).

I'm +1 on adding this to the site.

-chip