From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: logo usage
Date Wed, 15 May 2013 17:47:39 GMT
On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 05:42:26PM +0000, Giles Sirett wrote:
> All
>
> Thanks for the earlier guidance on logo  usage.
> I've now looked in detail at the ASF guidance - all that follows is FYI in case somebody
else may find this useful

> Here's the key piece from http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/ :
>
> "You needn't ask us for permission to use Apache's graphics logos (the versions published
on individual project's websites) on your own website solely as a hyperlink to the specific
Apache project website or to www.apache.org. All other uses of Apache Foo (and similar) graphic
logos must be approved in writing by VP, Apache Brand Management or a designee."

> Putting my lawyers hat on, it all comes down to  the definition of what " solely as a
hyperlink to the specific Apache project" means: that could be argued lots of different ways

> I'm happy that I want t do specifically  meets  the spirit of this.

Just show us a design that you think you want to use, and then it'll
likely be an easy agreement (we'll include trademarks@ as well).

We know your intent, so it's doubtful that there will be a problem.  The
rules are only there to be sure that we are stating an enforcement
approach for when the marks are being abused.  You have to protect marks
in order to enforce protection... ;-)

-chip