From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: Weekly News Items?
Date Thu, 02 May 2013 17:47:55 GMT
On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 05:38:46PM +0000, Giles Sirett wrote:
> Chip, I've been very clear, this *is* a commercial offering, we will be making money.
ShapeBlue makes its money out of services around Cloudstack. This is what we do to feed our
kids.

> These courses have been in development for some time, we have invested time & money
 in creating a structured course with classroom & online version and also a whole set
of hands-on labs. To be frank, I would expect *some* degree of support from the community
on this. I'm taking a commercial risk, creating something that that surely can only help ACS
long term
> I have offered/donated  20% of the places on the Santa Clara course to the community
free of charge.

> I am really  trying   to make sure that we respect the rules & governance of the
project (which I have to do carefully as we are a vendor  who primarily  are about CloudStack).
I think we've always managed to do that (if we haven't, I would like to be told).

> However, if there is a training course being run in our technology , then people should
know about it; and it SHOULD be in a weekly news update IMO.
> If the course was being run by somebody else, I would say the same thing.; I would want
to know about it.  We should not refuse to mention it because somebody is making some money
out of it.

> I am not asking for endorsement, I am asking  to help communicate something that people
may find useful & want to purchase.

I want to be *very* clear that I'm not against community
support for what you are doing.  The specific concern I had was about
"endorsement" of a commercial "service" and the implication it would
have for how we would treat commercial "product" announcements.

However, looking back through past discussions on this topic, I believe
the overriding point is that as long as we are consistent and open about
inclusion, there are no problems.  As stated, this is a pointer to
something.

In fact, I think that we should consider pointing to product
announcements that include CloudStack news as well (example: we could
have pointed to http://www.stackiq.com/products/rocks-cloud/ when it was
announced).

I'll sit down now...  +1 for adding it.

Thanks for being patient as I got through my own muddled thoughts in
full view of everyone... ;-)