From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: logo usage
Date Wed, 15 May 2013 14:12:17 GMT
On Wed, May 15, 2013, at 09:00 AM, Giles Sirett wrote:
> In advance, I'm going to apologise   for not reading  the 100's of posts
> on this subject in the past.
> I didn't, and I only keep list posts for 30 days and now I feel stupid

No need to keep posts for longer than 30 days: MarkMail does it for you:

http://markmail.org/search/list:org.apache.incubator.cloudstack-marketing?q=

(Apache has mail archives as well, but MarkMail has better search, IMHO)

> To the question:
> I'm having a redesign of www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>
> done. I would *like* to carry the ACS logo on my site  as its our key
> technology.

There's a specific section on Web site usage:

https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/trademark-guidelines-draft.html

See also:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

The question is, how do you plan to use it? As a link back to the
project? Some other usage?

> 1)      Which logo should I use in this situation ? - I know I've seen
> posts on this and I've even looked - and where is it ?
>  This page
>  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Graphics+and+Resources
>
> Doesn't actually have a ACS logo, it only has the one with the monkey.

Let's get that fixed...

> 2)      What are the copyright implcations (again, I know this has been
> discussed at length, sorry), but I remember reading that approval would
> be needed to use any Apache logo.

It depends on how you're using it. If you're only using it for a link
back to the project or to refer to the project, that should be OK.
Otherwise, I believe you're going to need to seek project permission -
but you'd need to be specific about how it's being used.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier