From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: Weekly News Items?
Date Thu, 02 May 2013 17:26:44 GMT
On Thu, May 2, 2013, at 12:18 PM, Chip Childers wrote:
> IMO, if the costs for attendance were only to cover the cost of doing
> the training, then I'd be fine.  I assume, however, that ShapeBlue is
> hoping to make a little profit from the training.  (If I'm wrong,
> correct me)  While I *love* that it's happening, and I hope that it goes
> well, and frankly like companies in our ecosystem to be profitable...
> the project itself should not be endorsing commercial ventures.
>
> Comments / flames?

Here's my thoughts:

- Linking to an event in the calendar isn't endorsing so much as
informing people it's happening.

- Historically, I've put talks, etc., that are tutorials on CloudStack
in the events section even when they're part of an event that's paid.
(e.g. OSCON) Those events are also for-profit, and the talks are of
interest to our community. I see a subtle difference between "this talk
is happening at OSCON" and "Acme Cloud Company is doing paid training,"
but both situations are us pointing to a commercial venture.

I am OK with having a line between what's acceptable and not, so long as
we're consistent and the line is logical. An open registration event for
training (as opposed to an advertisement for in-house training that's
not of general interest) seems OK *to me* but I'll go with whatever
seems to be consensus.

Best,

jzb
--