From Karen Vuong <karen.vu...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Draft trademark guidelines
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2013 18:27:47 GMT
Hi all,

I just wanted to pick this thread up again and I've incorporated all of the feedback regarding
the 'TM' and the Apache CloudStack logo. I've changed the color of the 'TM' to match the color
of CloudStack in the logo. The second option has a grey 'TM' which matches the color of Apache
in the logo. Please see the updated versions of the logo here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Trademark+Guidelines+(DRAFT)?focusedCommentId=31818328&#comment-31818328

Which one do you prefer? Do we want to keep the 'open source cloud computing' tagline? That
can be easily removed.

I would welcome any feedback or comments. Thanks!

Best regards,

Karen

-----Original Message-----
From: Kelcey Damage (BT) [mailto:kelcey@backbonetechnology.com]
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2013 10:23 AM
To: marketing@cloudstack.apache.org
Cc: cloudstack-marketing@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: [DISCUSS] Draft trademark guidelines

For a company to be able to no longer use the (TM), but still hold TM, the brand must be ubiquitous
with the product (ie. iPod/iPhone, Apple logo (This is for graphics and not legal text)).
This however runs the risk of a logo/brand becoming public domain for usage if the company
does not have an active lawyer team.

In my opinion it is best for us to shove a little (TM) on the logo. Also adding the mascot
shifts us from trying to protect a melding of two English language words (The hardest trademark
to maintain) to a fully unique composition.

Hope that helps a little, my trade and copyright experience is a few years old.

-kd

ensure that
>it includes a small "TM" symbol in the graphic or immediately adjacent
it. For
>pages that include the project logo on them, ensure you mention "...
>and
the