From Pierre-Luc Bisaillon <pbisail...@cloudops.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Website Mock-Up #2
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2013 18:02:26 GMT
Team,

Great to see the design evolving. I really like the top-half and banner. A
few points:
1. On the last thread Joe asked about "user stories" and I think there is
an opportunity to better segment the incoming visitors based on their
interest. In a way that's what the middle of the page does but it's not
always clear (e.g. Getting Started in this case seems to be a link for
developers, and then "Take CloudStack for a spin" for IT users. I think the
3 main types of visitors are likely to be:
- general business and IT people who have heard about it and want to know
more about it
- IT people looking to install it
- Developers who might be interested in contributing to it

Would be great to clearly direct this traffic to information that these
audiences would be looking for. I think we're close with the sub-text of
the bottom menu, but could make it clearer.

We seem to dedicate a large real estate to developers (whereas, for
example, OpenStack has it as a sub-section under Community).

2. Joe I know there is a risk of bias in putting case studies here vs. the
wiki, but is there an opportunity to define a framework for review?
CloudStack has impressive success stories but I think they are not told
enough. Are you worried about actual corporate influence or the
*appearance* of corporate influence?

3. Personally I'm not a fan of the font or the color choices in the bottom
section, but can't quite justify why :-) and I know that too much personal
feedback is not good!
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

Great work and looking forward to the launch,

PL

--
Pierre-Luc Bisaillon
VP produits / VP Product