From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Typical process for getting approval for events/sponsorship
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2013 13:47:20 GMT
On 10 April 2013 00:21, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> Gotcha.
>
> I guess the source of my confusion here is what "PMC approval" actually
> means, in practice. My knee-jerk reaction was that private@ should be CCed
> or something. But I guess, as a project, we are free to say that we're going
> to be doing event/sponsership proposals on marketing@ and they can pass by
> lazy consensus there. And if you're a PMC member and you want input into
> that, then you had better subscribe to the marketing@ list. Does that sound
> about right? If so, I expect we'll want to at least write that down
> somewhere.

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me, as long as your PMC agrees. As
a courtesy I'd probably notify the broader community if there were
anything controversial but in most cases there won't be controversy
and there will be no need to involve the whole community.

Having said that I never like to have highly focussed lists.
Personally I'd conduct the marketing stuff on the dev list. But you
are free, as a PMC, to define that yourself. You know the volume of
mail these lists is creating and thus you know when to split them,
it's just my experience is to do it a good while after the first,
second, third and even fourth proposal to do so ;-)

All we (ConCom) care about is that your events conform to the
trademark policies. So, as long as you have a way of enforcing those
policies then all is good.

> I also expect that we should add a step to the event/sponsorship approval
> process that includes *notifying* ConCom, but makes it explicit that this
> isn't an approval step. Is concom@apache.org the preferred address for that?

I hope that we (ConCom) get our act together one day and maintain a
calendar of events our projects are engaged in. Notifying us of these
is a good start. It also provides that extra sanity check on your
approval process, but you should consider it lazy consensus.

concom@apache.org is (today) the right list. Nick is in the process of
updating the way the lists work and that may change.

> And would you prefer it as a CC on the original proposal, or as a
> notification once the proposal passes?

Personally I don't care and since nobody has spoken up I guess none of us do ;-)

Thanks for progressing this. Another thing I hope ConCom will do in
the near future is point projects to your event management process as
an example of how to do it.

Ross