From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Typical process for getting approval for events/sponsorship
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 22:56:30 GMT
Hi Noah,

As with so many things around here it's all a little ill-defined. My
reading of the tea leaves would say...

- Since you are seeking permission to spend third party cash supporting an
ASF project, and are not using foundation level brands to further a
companies interests beyond a specific project there is no need to seek
approval from ConCom

- You do need approval from the project PMC to use project branding at
these events. It is up to the PMC to decide how that approval is sought. I
note that your wiki page at [1] has some pretty good guidelines for when
such approval is needed (note my statement above means you can relax
the one about event sponsorship, assuming nobody here disagrees with me).

- As for how to get PMC approval I would, again, suggest this is up to the
PMCs. I'm always in favour of using lazy consensus as much as possible. So
if your PMC were to agree with my view then a mail to the designated list
(sometimes people want to keep financial information private) plus a
minimum of 72 hours for objections to be raised would be sufficient. Such a
policy can always be revisited if people start to abuse it.

Originally ConCom approval was required for all events. However, we have no
switched to a model of lazy consensus on the use of project brands since we
were failing to give a timely response in some cases. Where ConCom should
be involved is if you are using foundation level brands.

It's also good practice (if not required) to notify ConCom of events your
PMC has approved since we might be able to help get the word out and/or
support your efforts in other ways.

[ASIDE: See you at LinuxTag in May]

Ross

[1]