From Mark Hinkle <Mark.Hin...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Website - CloudStack Collaboration Conference NA '13
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:23:31 GMT
Noah,

I am in total agreement with doing this right though I am trying to figure out what we could
have done better. I don't want to sound defensive but after following the Concom direction
and reading and following the Event Branding policy I thought we had done everything we could
to do things the Apache way. After signing on contract for the venue earlier this month...my
heart skipped a few beats when I read your email.

Initially the spring CloudStack Collab Conference was going to be organized by another community
member this spring but they didn't have the ability to do so in the shorter timespan. We didn't
send to private@ on the final discussion because I assumed that everyone on Devel@ was also
private@ I'll do that going forward.

The note to Concon@ went to them on 3/7 and I got a response with the subject RE:Permission
for CloudStack Collaboration Conference NA 2013 on March 17th from Nick Burch indicating the
beginning of lazy consensus.

Since the website went live on Friday so it could be reviewed and it looks like we have gotten
most of the feedback on the correct attribution of trademarks and clarification of the proper
application of CloudStack as a mark. Karen sent the request to trademarks@ on the 21st to
get their feedback and we'll make any changes that are requested. The subject is "[LOGO] Apache
CloudStack Logo Usage - CloudStack Collaboration Conference North America 2013" from karen.vuong@citrix.com
and has a complete list of the ways we plan to use all the Apache trademarks and that was
cc'd to the private@. We needed to have the website up and decide on the various ways we planned
to use them before we could show them. We will make everything right before promoting it I
think there were plenty of suggestions over the last 48 hours and they are being implemented.

On the question of who is running it. The intention is to be as collaborative as possible
we want this to be a community conference not a Citrix run event.
Citrix is covering all the costs of the conference minus any additional sponsor contributions.
We paid for the venue and are listing as the Diamond Sponsor. We are also offering three levels
of sponsorship for the conference (needs fixed on the website) $10K, $5K, and $1k to try to
be as inclusive as possible. Since someone has to be the signatory for the venue and provide
insurance Citrix did that. Sponsors will get lightning talks for their sponsorship and logo
attribution on the website, conference t-shirt and venue. The total cost for the conference
is going to be over $200K so we want as diverse and varied a group a sponsors as possible
though we expect the vast majority of the cost is going to be shouldered by Citrix, hence
the Diamond Sponsorship.

The program is being planned by a group comprised of Chip Childers, VP of Apache CloudStack
& Sunguard, John Kinsella, Apache CloudStack PMC & Stratosec, Joe Brockmeier Apache
CloudStack PMC and Citrix, Karen Vuong-Citrix and me-Citrix.

The talks are being reviewed and accepted by a committee of committers led by Joe Brockmeier
and Chip Childers.

At the suggestion of Concom  we hired a professional conference producer. We are using the
OpenBastion to organize things hoping their familiarity from running ApacheCon would help
make things easier.

Mark