From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: Sponsoring/Events
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 13:35:01 GMT
On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 06:23:06AM -0400, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am unclear on what the process is for Events where we want to have a CloudStack presence.
Which type of events requires "approval" ?
> I browsed the policies but I am still unclear.
>
> I see two types of events:
>
> -Free events, a community member submits a proposals for a CloudStack "booth", it gets
accepted.
> -Paid events, a company sponsors an event and gets a "booth" that it wants to donate
to CloudStack.

> I am assuming that meet ups and workshops don't need to get approval.
>
> thanks,
>
> -Sebastien

As far as our current draft policy [1] goes, and after reading through
the sparse guidance I could find on www.a.o [2], here's how I'm interpreting it:

- Event sponsorship (I would say that this is typically paid, but
  sometimes "sponsorship" can be free) requires approval via this list and
  approval from ConCom (see "Sponsoring Events" at [1]).

- Large events, like CCC12, absolutely require following the rules from
  [2].

- Exhibiting at an event, if being done by a committer, can be done
  without requiring approval (see "Exhibiting at Events" at [1]).

- Meetups, small events, etc... don't require approval, but we did
  document some rules about them (see "Meetup groups..." at [1]).

- Speaking at an event about the project shouldn't require any approvals
  at all.

And don't forget that any "Non-software goods" produced using the
project's mark require approval from the PMC via this list.

Anyone have a better / more accurate representation?

-chip

[1] http://s.apache.org/csmarks
[2] http://s.apache.org/4WA