From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: [DRAFT] 4.1.0 Release Announcement
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2013 16:27:33 GMT
On Mon, Apr 1, 2013, at 06:54 PM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On 04/01/2013 03:26 PM, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> > Apache CloudStack is an integrated software platform that allows users
> > to build a feature-rich IaaS. CloudStack includes an intuitive user
> > interface and rich API for managing the compute, networking, accounting,
> > and storage for private, hybrid, or public clouds.
>
> This last sentence seems funky to me, but I could be crazy.  If i leave
> out part of the sentence ... "rich API for managing the compute ... for
> private, hybrid, or public clouds" ... well, it just doesn't seem to
> sound correct said out loud. Does it make more sense to say, "... for
> managing compute, network, accounting, and storage resources in private,
> hybrid, or public clouds," ??

So, basically you're saying "add resources" after "network, accounting,
and storage"?

Seems good.

> > * Implement L3 router functionality in the Nicira NVP plugin.
>
> I seem to recall that this was previously L2 and Xen-only; if I'm right
> (haha) and it's not just L3 but also expanding to Xen *and* KVM, perhaps
> that's worth calling out?

I think that's correct.

> > * Auto Scaling support in conjunction with load balancing devices such
> > as NetScaler.
> I usually see this as "autoscaling" (or occasionally "auto-scaling"),
> unless being used in reference to the Amazon product, which is called
> "Auto Scaling" - perhaps I'm being overly nitpicky (and late to the
> party, since some of the docs refer to it as Auto Scaling). It does
> immediately come right after an EC2 reference; I don't know if anyone
> would confuse them, just food for thought. At the minimum maybe just
> saying "Auto scaling" (without the capital S) makes it read less
> similarly.

Ah, the joys of newfangled terms.

AMZ calls it Auto Scaling, RightScale calls it Autoscaling, Scalr refers
to it as Auto-scaling, and all of our docs / etc. so far say Auto
Scaling.

The English major in me wants to standardize on autoscaling. Any
objections?

> Is there an expanded list that readers can be pointed to for more
> in-depth details about the new features (release notes, perhaps)? This
> is short and sweet, which is good for brevity -- but if I'm new to the
> project, or press, downloading isn't the quickest route to that info,
> and going to the website/wiki may take some nosing around. There are
> lots of cool new things, make sure they get their proper glory! :)

We will have release notes. Ideally we'd also have a blog for each of
the major new features, but that's going to require some heads-down
writing time on my part or some volunteers to do a couple of features
each.

Best,

jzb
--