From Mark Hinkle <Mark.Hin...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Wiki visual guidlines
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 19:27:57 GMT
+1 on the Wiki Template ;)

I think the sentiment is right. The formatting is secondary to me. Above
all the documents themselves should be good but if they are hard to
consume that's almost as bad.

My 2+ cents:

I feel it's confusing that we have a wiki and manuals separate. IMHO
Documentation should help lead users to the right document. I am not sure
at what point to drop the Installation Guide and go to Admin or Developers
for instance. Also having all the links to the formats are great but it
makes the navigation confusing.

This navigation experience is not great:
http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/docs/en-US/index.html

The Docs are listed in the left frame but it's not clear what they are all
for.  As Matt points out the end-user experience is better here:
http://docs.openstack.org/

Specifically, Once you get into the individual manuals the left side is
pretty useless the search doesn't appear to work either. I think that
might be an artifact of the Publican builds (points to a localhost
search)(Jira-1479)

We also break out docs by release number but for release notes especially
I like to be able to view them on the same page to understand the scope of
release differences.

Of course these are just my opinions. Also I should note that a lot of
people have done good work to get the documents this far you should have
seen them a year ago :P

Mark