From "Kelceydamage@bbits" <kel...@bbits.ca>
Subject Re: website idea
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 17:42:14 GMT
I agree 100%, this is why I pointed out that at my company te ratio of frontent Dev/artists
to back end is 2.2:1. Marketing is a different world then technology development. And it's
generally lead by distinctly seperate visionaries.

We can not approach marketing and website appearance from a developer point of view. The wiki
is for devs/users, the website is for sales(accept without any money) and marketing.

I think researching similar sites is important, and if we get a mock-up I am more then happy
to have my web guys critique it, and provide suggestions.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 5, 2013, at 9:05 AM, John Kinsella <jlk@stratosec.co> wrote:

> First thought: "noooooooooooooooo!" ;)
>
> Second thought: As ACS is a fairly major project and not a CI engine (sorry, but…),
our website has three purposes:
> a) Get operational folks to want to try ACS
> b) Get developers interested in contributing to ACS
> c) Educate others about why ACS is so #@$@#$ awesome and they (or their teams, or their
companies) should be using it.
> (feel free to expand/contrast on this)
>
> So, with that said - From my experience, the stereotypical Twitter Bootstrap sites do
not say that to me. They say "this is a site that was quickly set up by a developer so he
could get back to something else." There's not a single graphic element on inria's site -
except for 2 buttons. Not pretty by any means, IMHO. I'm reminded of Ruby projects or Github
projects who think 15 lines in their README.md is AWESOME for their project's website.

> Take a look at the other cloud provisioning project's site. Both looks better and does
a better job of communicating what it is.

> Here's a few sites I've seen recently that I consider "pretty" and "modern" sites:
>
> https://jawbone.com/up - admittedly complicated
> https://www.meldium.com/ - probably bootstrap based, but at least looks good IMHO
> http://www.qualtrics.com/
> http://couchdb.apache.org/ - Just pulled it up while looking through the ASF project
list - not bad!

> One thing that we should probably do - look at the websites of other players in the space
- OnApp, Eucalyptus, VMWare, etc. Our site has to play at that level, not a website built
for an engineer looking for a CI platform (sorry, but…)

> I realize we need a site that's easy to manage and update, but let's see if we can balance
that with something that people remember.