From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: REVISED (was Re: Talking Points for Graduation)
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2013 16:12:53 GMT
On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 04:07:26PM +0000, Sally Khudairi wrote:
> Hello, all --my edits are included in the draft below. Please ensure that Chip has seen
and approved the proposed tweaks to his quotes :-)

Reviewed and approved.  Let's get the party started...

> Once I receive signoff from you, I'll be happy for forward to our media/analyst "friendlies"
under embargo. Kindly let me know when you do the same to your internal distribution.

> Many thanks in advance,
> Sally
>
> = = =
>
> The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache CloudStack™ as a Top-Level Project
>
> Mature, Open Source turn-key platform widely used for delivering scalable, full-featured
Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) clouds.

> Forest Hill, MD –25 March 2013– The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer
developers, stewards, and incubators of nearly 150 Open Source projects and initiatives, today
announced that Apache CloudStack has graduated from the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level
Project (TLP), signifying that the Project's community and products have been well-governed
under the ASF's meritocratic process and principles.

> @@CONFIRM EDIT "When CloudStack first became an Apache Incubator project, it was a well-established
cloud management platform with a mature codebase," said Chip Childers, Vice President of Apache
CloudStack. "Our work in the Incubator has focused on growing a really strong community around
the code and establishing the governance practices expected of a top-level project within
The Apache Software Foundation."

> Widely used in production by many organizations, CloudStack is formerly the product of
Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011, and was submitted to the Apache Incubator
by Citrix in April 2012.
> Apache CloudStack is a complete software suite for creating Infrastructure-as-a-Service
(IaaS) cloud computing in private-, public-, and hybrid cloud environments. It has been proven
to be both stable and highly scalable, underpinning production clouds more than 30,000 physical
nodes, in geo-distributed environments.

> @@CONFIRM EDIT "Becoming a TLP is an important step in the project's evolution and growth,"
added Childers. "CloudStack had the advantage of having many long-term, large deployments
which had proven the stability and scalability of the technology. This helped us concentrate
on adopting the 'Apache Way' of governance, which is well understood and open, delivering
so many great pieces of software over the years."

> CloudStack's target environments include service providers and enterprises; it is used
by many service providers to set up an on-demand, elastic cloud computing services and by
enterprises to set up a private cloud for use by their own employees. Apache CloudStack is
also available to individuals and organizations that wish to study and implement an IaaS for
personal, educational, and/or production use.

> @@CONFIRM EDIT "We believe that Infrastructure-as-a-Service is the next generation of
IT infrastructure, and that people will demand open standards and open governance for such
an important layer in their IT stack," explained Childers. That is why having the CloudStack
project meet the rigorous standards of ASF governance is so significant."

> Underscoring the ASF's edict of "Community over Code", Childers said: "we've managed
to build a diverse, friendly and very open community around CloudStack. New participants receive
a really warm welcome and we make sure that all contributors are on an equal footing, whether
they are writing code or helping with any other aspect of the project. Anybody thinking of
getting involved in the project would quickly find what a great community we are. In addition
to online involvement, we've already had a global collaboration conference and there are many
CloudStack groups established in many different countries."

> Availability and Oversight
> Apache CloudStack software is released under the Apache License v2.0, and is overseen
by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee
(PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product
releases. Apache CloudStack source code, documentation, mailing lists, and related resources
are available at http://cloudstack.apache.org/.

> About the Apache Incubator
> The Apache Incubator is the entry path for projects and codebases wishing to become part
of the efforts at The Apache Software Foundation. All code donations from external organizations
and existing external projects wishing to join the ASF enter through the Incubator to: 1)
ensure all donations are in accordance with the ASF legal standards; and 2) develop new communities
that adhere to our guiding principles. Incubation is required of all newly accepted projects
until a further review indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision making
process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful ASF projects. While incubation
status is not necessarily a reflection of the completeness or stability of the code, it does
indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF. For more information, visit
http://incubator.apache.org/.

> About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
> Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees nearly one hundred fifty leading
Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server — the world's most popular Web server
software. Through the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way", more than 400
individual Members and 3,500 Committers successfully collaborate to develop freely available
enterprise-grade software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions
are distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing
lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings,
and expo. The ASF is a US 501(3)(c) not-for-profit charity, funded by individual donations
and corporate sponsors including AMD, Basis Technology, Citrix, Cloudera, Facebook, Go Daddy,
Google, HP, Hortonworks, Huawei, IBM, InMotion Hosting, Matt Mullenweg, Microsoft, PSW Group,
SpringSource/VMware,
>  WANdisco, and Yahoo!. For more information, visit http://www.apache.org/ or follow @TheASF
on Twitter.

> "Apache", "CloudStack", "Apache CloudStack", and "ApacheCon" are trademarks of The Apache
Software Foundation. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective
owners.