From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: Talking Points for Graduation
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 19:54:21 GMT
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 01:08:59PM -0400, David Nalley wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jzb@zonker.net> wrote:
> > - Why this matters:
> >
> > Graduation is about the community's readiness to operate as an open
> > source project, it's not about the state of the code - which was already
> > mature when CloudStack entered the incubator. What it means is that the
> > project is self-governing and has sufficient participation from a
> > diverse community that it has demonstrated to the Apache board that it's
> > ready to act as a TLP.
> >

> If you are not terribly familiar with the ASF I fear the above is gobbledygook.
> What does 'ready to act as a TLP' mean?

The talking points aren't meant to be standalone or published outright.
This is for people who may speak to press or write about the graduation
to ensure they hit on the key points. So - not sure that it's imperative
that the talking points are for people who are "terribly familiar with
the ASF" - it's assumed that those using the talking points are.

> Which then delves into how the Apache Way is different than other open
> source development methodologies, etc.

That in itself would be a good talking point:

- How is the Apache Way different than other methodologies?

(Suggestions?)

> > Maturity, stability, scalability, and community.
>
> This strikes me as a non-answer - and perhaps a bad question. Why
> should my organization try CloudStack? Do I even need CloudStack -
> these are far more basic questions.

Yes, but - again - it's not meant to be a story in and of itself. The
assumption is these are questions that are likely to be covered by
anyone writing about this.

We could have a "who is CloudStack developed for?" point, I suppose:

- What is Apache CloudStack's target audience?

* Service providers who wish to implement a public cloud for their
customers, or private hosted cloud.
* Organizations that wish to have a private cloud.

(We could probably expand on that a bit.)

> > * Maturity: Apache CloudStack is in use in many production deployments
> > for private, public, and hybrid cloud
>
> I don't like the claim of hybrid here personally.

Why? AFAIK there are CloudStack users doing hybrid cloud...

> > * Community: As part of the Apache Software Foundation, CloudStack's
> > community is diverse, friendly, and one that puts all contributors on
> > equal footing. The Apache governance model is well-understood and open.
> >

> Is that a true statement?
> Is the model well understood?

As governance models go, I think so - but what I really want to get
across is:

* The governance model is something like the Apache license: Developers
and organizations seem to be largely comfortable with it and feel like
they understand it. (Compare to company-driven projects where governance
is *not* well understood and subject to change).
* It is documented and there are processes. While not perfectly
documented or totally set in stone, there are not a lot of surprises for
most situations. (There are always new situations and unusual
circumstances that may break new ground or require revisiting things.)

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier