From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: press release draft
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 15:15:49 GMT
Thanks for running with this! Comments in-line.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 01:10:30PM +0000, Giles Sirett wrote:
>    The Apache Software Foundation announces that CloudStack has become a
>    top-tier project

The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache CloudStack as a
Top-Level Project

(let's stick with prior heds and use "Apache CloudStack" rather than
just CloudStack. And I suspect we'll have a TM following Apache
CloudStack?)

>    CloudStack, the well-established, production ready,  Cloud Management
>    Platform today became an Apache Foundation (ASF)  Top-Level project,
>    signifying the projects ability to self-govern and become part of the
>    wider ASF community.

This graf is mixing the dek and the lede - we should just have a dek
here that follows the hed and gives some basic info about the project.

Dek:

Mature, open source turn-key platform for delivering scalable,
full-featured Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) clouds.

>    [release location/date]

>    The Apache Software Foundation, the organisation  that governs Tomcat,
>    Hadoop, and nealy 150 other open-source projects, today announced that
>    Apache CloudStack  has graduated from the Apache Incubator to become a
>    Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying that the Project's community and
>    products have been well-governed under the ASF's meritocratic process and
>    principles.

The ledes are fairly standardized, so I'm going to assume we'll want to
stick with the existing formula. I have changed "today announced" to
"announced today," because I've never understood why press releases use
that odd phrasing.

Lede:

The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers,
stewards, and incubators of nearly 150 open source projects and
initiatives, announced today that Apache CloudStack has graduated from
the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying
that the project's community and products have been well-governed under
the ASF's meritocratic process and principles.

Typically the quote from the VP comes next, so lets move up Chip's quote
and follow the format:

"When CloudStack first became an Apache Incubator project, it was  a
well-established cloud management platform, so its codebase was already
mature," said Chip Childers, Vice President of Apache CloudStack. "Our work
in the Incubator has focused on the governance of the project and
building a really strong community around Apache CloudStack."

Formerly the product of Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011,
CloudStack was submitted to the Apache Incubator in April 2012.

>    CloudStack is a well established cloud management platform, already widely
>    in production use by many organisations. It is used to deliver
>    Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud computing in both private, public,
>    and hybrid-cloud environments. It has been proven to be both stable and
>    highly scalable, underpinning production clouds with more than 30,000 physical
>    nodes, in geo-distributed environments.

Minor changes in above graf. (Oxford comma, replaced "over" with "more
than".)

>    Apache CloudStack allows service providers to set up an on-demand, elastic
>    cloud computing service and enterprises to set-up a private cloud for use
>    by their own employees. Chip continued "We know that Infrastructure
>    -as-a-Service is the next generation of IT infrastructure and that people
>    will demand open standards and open governance for such an important layer
>    in their IT stack. That is why the CloudStack project meeting the rigorous
>    standards of ASF governance is so significant. "

Replaced "feel" with "know" - IMHO we should be confident that people
will be moving to IaaS.

We need to condense the "About" section - typically these are one or two
grafs. Can we shorten this to the bare essentials and direct people to
the Website for more? Something of similar length to the Apache "About"
section would be ideal.

>    About Apache CloudStack
>
>    Apache CloudStack is a complete software suite for creating Infrastructure
>    as a Service (IaaS) clouds. Target environments include service providers
>    and enterprises.
>
>    o The Apache CloudStack platform enables service providers to set up an
>    on-demand, elastic cloud computing service. It enables a utility computing
>    service by allowing service providers to offer self-service virtual
>    machine instances, storage volumes, and networking configurations over the
>    Internet.
>
>    o The Apache CloudStack platform enables enterprises to set up a private
>    cloud for use by their own employees. The current generation of
>    virtualization infrastructure targets enterprise IT departments who manage
>    virtual machines the same way they would manage physical machines. The
>    Apache CloudStack platform, on the other hand, enables self-service of
>    virtual machines by users outside of the IT department.
>
>    o As an open source IaaS, Apache CloudStack is available to individuals
>    and organizations that wish to study and implement an IaaS for personal,
>    educational, and/or production use.
>
>    The CloudStack platform includes the Management Server and extensions to
>    industry-standard hypervisor software (e.g. XenServer, vSphere, KVM)
>    installed on Hosts running in the cloud. The Management Server is deployed
>    on a farm of management servers. The administrator provisions resources
>    (Hosts, storage devices, IP addresses, etc.) into the Management Server
>    and the Management Server manages those resources. The Management server
>    presents web interfaces to end users and administrators that enable them
>    to take actions on some or all of their instances in the IaaS cloud.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier