From Sally Khudairi <sallykhuda...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Press release for our eventual graduation?
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 16:34:53 GMT
Thanks, Joe. Re:

That would be perfect.

> I assume we'll still handle posting to the CloudStack Apache blog, etc.?

I post to the ASF General blog --i.e., the press release itself-- but if the Project wants
to add a more technically-focused post as well, that would work. In fact, more technically-oriented
press prefer a bit more detail on some of the announcements. Seeing this is a TLP/graduation
announcement and not a project release, we should be OK with just the press release.

> Will you be doing any specific outreach to press? For the
> 4.0.0-incubating release, we came up with a press list and contacted
> folks directly who might usually write about cloud topics. Not sure if
> Apache does any "pushing" to press or mainly handles incoming
> requests.

I have a press & analyst list that I also disseminate to when I send the announcement
out over announce@apache.org

In select instances I have also sent the announcement out under embargo to a subset of that
group as well.

>>  I must underscore that we need to work together here: some projects
>>  learned that the Board approved their resolution, went out and blogged
>>  and tweeted their enthusiasm at becoming a TLP, then were confused when
>>  we didn't garner any media coverage when the press release was issued a
>>  few weeks later. The press don't report on "old" news, so we
> need to
>>  coordinate our timing. This is important.
>
> Gotcha. And yes, I'm aware of this from prior experience. :-)
>
>>  So having said all this, what's your timeframe? Do you want to send me
>>  draft release based on earlier TLP announcements such as:
>
> We should get it done this week, though we don't know yet if we're on
> the agenda for March 20th.

You are on the agenda. So we can do two things: a) formally announce on Thursday (not preferred,
as we might not get good coverage), or b) formally announce on Monday (still good for international
coverage; would be better if we sent something out under embargo to our "friendlies" a few
days before).

Thoughts?

-Sally