cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "Riepl, Gregor (SWISS TXT)" <Gregor.Ri...@swisstxt.ch>
Subject Re: Get VM OS type
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2019 09:43:43 GMT

> version. Another way is to open the console and see the login screen.
> This will get the actual data but I want to do automation to see for
> all VM's and opening the console is not feasible to automate. Is
> there any other way to get it?

Are the VMs networked?

You could fetch their public IPs and run nmap -sS -O against them. This
should produce fairly accurate results.

If they are all on the same Cloudstack network, you could also SSH into
a connected VM and run nmap from there.

I don't think that there is a generic way to obtain the actual OS
running on a VM via Cloudstack. It might be possible through the
hypervisor, but nmap will work in most cases.