cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Concurrent Volume Snapshots
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2019 13:02:21 GMT
You can try to experiment with the following global settings:

wait

backup.snapshot.wait
copy.volume.wait
vm.job.lock.timeout

Regards,

Rohit Yadav

Software Architect, ShapeBlue

https://www.shapeblue.com

________________________________
From: Andrei Mikhailovsky <andrei@arhont.com.INVALID>
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2019 6:27:23 PM
To: dev
Subject: Concurrent Volume Snapshots

Hello everyone

I am having running snapshot issues on large volumes. The hypervisor is KVM and the storage
backend is Ceph (rbd). ACS version is 4.11.2. Here is my issue:

I've got several vms with 3-6 volumes of 2TB each. I have a recurring schedule setup to take
a snapshot of each volume once a month. It takes a long time for a volume to be snapshotted
(in a magnitude of 20 hours). As a result, when the schedule kicks in, it only manages to
snapshot the first volume and the snapshots of the other volumes fail due to the async job
timeout. From what I have discovered, ACS only does a single volume snapshot at a time. I
can't seem to find the settings to enable concurrent snapshotting. So, it can't snapshot all
of the vm volumes at the same time. This is very much problematic for many reasons, but the
main reason is that upon recovery of multiple volumes, the data on those will not be consistent.

Is there a way around it? Perhaps there is an option in the settings that I can't find that
disables this odd behaviour of the volume snapshots?

Cheers

Andrei

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.comĀ
www.shapeblue.com