cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Move to JDK 11 (LTS) after 4.13
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2019 12:25:20 GMT
All,

JDK 8 (lts) has already reached EOL and we're dependent on distro/maintainers and the next
available LTS jdk is JDK 11.

Here's the proposal:

- Use JDK8 for building 4.13 and let users decide if they want to run/use JDK8 (jre) or JDK
11 (jre) for cloudstack management/usage/agent services, the systemvm will still have JDK
8 jre

- After 4.13 master is unfrozen, we fix the pom.xml to enforce that JDK 11 is used to build
master

- New systemvmtemplate is created using the next/upcoming Debian 10 (https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/06/msg00003.html)
release and use latest/stable kernel (in Debian 10) and use JDK 11

- Experimental proposal: with 4.14+debian 10 based systemvmtemplate we do not bundle JRE within
the systemvmtemplate but using jlink (https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/tools/jlink.htm) create
a systemvm.iso that has a lightweight JRE embeded for use with the ssvm/cpvm agent. The systemvmtemplate
has about 100-200 MBs consumed due to the JRE installation which is only necessary to run
cpvm/ssvm agent but adds dead weight/storage-size for VRs. If the jlink embedded jre concept
works, it will also work in our favour and reduce security impact, i.e. in case of a future
java related security issue we can simply create a new release (with latest systemvm.iso and
embedded jre) without requiring us to release a new systemvmtemplate.

Thoughts, ideas, questions?

Regards,

Rohit Yadav

Software Architect, ShapeBlue