cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Redundant VR Guest IPs
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2019 13:01:51 GMT
Hi Richard,

You've probably found an implementational bug. I think the VIP should be used for both source
NAT, password, user-data and dhcp/dns services.

Regards,

Rohit Yadav

Software Architect, ShapeBlue

https://www.shapeblue.com

________________________________
From: Richard Lawley <richard@richardlawley.com>
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2019 6:18:46 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Redundant VR Guest IPs

Hi,

When using RVRs, the guest VMs still see the VR IP instead of the VIP
for a number of things:
* DHCP Server
* Static NAT source IP for hairpin NAT

Just wondering what the reason is for this, as it causes a number of issues:
* Password reset doesn't work if active VR has changed since VM boot
* Issues with DHCP renewals if VR has changed since VM boot (will discuss later)
* Some static NAT connections confusingly (for the end user) come from
the VR IP rather than the VIP

It seems to me that it would be better if anything referencing the VR
IP actually used the VIP, but I'm assuming someone has made a decision
not to do this at some point - just wondered what that reason is, and
whether it's still valid.

Regards,

Richard

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.comĀ