cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Remove support for el6 packaging in 4.13/4.14
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2019 07:44:58 GMT
All,

With CentOS8 around the corner to be released sometime around the summer, I would like to
propose to deprecate CentOS6 as support management server host distro and KVM host distro.
Non-systemd enabled Ubuntu releases have been already deprecated [1].

The older CentOS6 version would hold us back as we try to adapt, use and support newer JRE
version, kvm/libvirt version, the Linux kernel, and several other older dependencies. Both
CentOS6 and RHEL6 have reached EOL on May 10th, 2017 wrt full updates [1].

If we don't have any disagreements, I propose we remove el6 packaging support in the next
major release - 4.13. But, if there are users and organisations that will be badly impacted,
let 4.13 be the last of releases to support el6 and we definitely remove el6 support in 4.14.

What are your thoughts?

[1] EOL date wiki reference: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Hypervisor+and+Management+Server+OS+EOL+Dates

Regards,

Rohit Yadav