cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Remove support for el6 packaging in 4.13/4.14
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2019 08:05:08 GMT

On 4/15/19 9:44 AM, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> All,
>

> With CentOS8 around the corner to be released sometime around the summer, I would like
to propose to deprecate CentOS6 as support management server host distro and KVM host distro.
Non-systemd enabled Ubuntu releases have been already deprecated [1].

> The older CentOS6 version would hold us back as we try to adapt, use and support newer
JRE version, kvm/libvirt version, the Linux kernel, and several other older dependencies.
Both CentOS6 and RHEL6 have reached EOL on May 10th, 2017 wrt full updates [1].

> If we don't have any disagreements, I propose we remove el6 packaging support in the
next major release - 4.13. But, if there are users and organisations that will be badly impacted,
let 4.13 be the last of releases to support el6 and we definitely remove el6 support in 4.14.

> What are your thoughts?

I agree! EL6 is just no longer suited for development. Good suggestion.

Wido