cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Melnik <v.mel...@uplink.ua>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Remove support for el6 packaging in 4.13/4.14
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2019 09:54:20 GMT
Hi Rohit,

I agree that being stuck to CentOS-6 is not the best strategy and I'd gladly get rid of this
old distro in my environments. It could be pretty easy to upgrade the management servers,
but upgrading the hosts means "cold" migration from the CentOS6-based cluster to a CentOS7-based
one (alas, "hot" migration between different QEMUs won't work, I tried it before). So I'll
have to move ~100 VMs between the clusters, which means shutting them all down one by one.
That's scary :-)

Maybe it would be possible to make ACS "know" what operating system is being run, so ACS could
only use the available features? It would be cool.

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 08:02:00PM +0000, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> Hi Vladimir,
>

> Thanks for sharing your opinion. I can understand the position of our conservative users
such as yourself with respect to a potential upgrade, both the effort and the risks involved
in doing the upgrades.

> That said, I would like to encourage you and other conservative users to consider upgrading
because it becomes difficult to support older distributions moving forward especially when
CentOS/RHEL 8 will arrive and it also hinders us to (a) support newer features wrt KVM and
(b) forces us to depend on older distro-provided dependencies that CloudStack uses and potentially
puts a cloud environment under security risks.

> As Andrija puts it, you can attempt to upgrade to CentOS7 based infra by doing a fresh
installation and move to the new server/hosts in a rolling way. If you'd need any pointers
in that regard I'm sure we can ask Andrija and others to share some details on how to do that.
Meanwhile, you may also refer to my colleague Dag's talk on upgrade best practices from CCCNA17:
https://www.slideshare.net/ShapeBlue/cccna17-cloudstack-upgrade-best-practicespdf

> I would like to hear again from you on this and see if we can all agree towards a decision
that benefits all of our community. Thanks.

> Regards,
>
> Rohit Yadav
>
> Software Architect, ShapeBlue
>
> https://www.shapeblue.com
>
> ________________________________

like to propose to deprecate CentOS6 as support management server host distro and KVM host
distro. Non-systemd enabled Ubuntu releases have been already deprecated [1].

> > The older CentOS6 version would hold us back as we try to adapt, use and support
newer JRE version, kvm/libvirt version, the Linux kernel, and several other older dependencies.
Both CentOS6 and RHEL6 have reached EOL on May 10th, 2017 wrt full updates [1].

> > If we don't have any disagreements, I propose we remove el6 packaging support in
the next major release - 4.13. But, if there are users and organisations that will be badly
impacted, let 4.13 be the last of releases to support el6 and we definitely remove el6 support
in 4.14.

--
V.Melnik