cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Move to jdk11 and use jlink
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2019 04:59:38 GMT
All,

JDK8 has reached eol wrt public updates from Oracle and JDK11 is the most recent LTS. Should
we discuss and plan the next release to move to JDK11, the effort may be as minimal as changing
the jdk requirements in maven config files.

Wrt consumption on centos6 (was there was an argument to drop centos6 support?) , centos7
and ubuntu 16.04+ with project jigsaw and jdk11's jlink we can ship stripped down jre along
with CloudStack artifacts. This would mean we may no longer depend on distribution provided
JRE, much like shipping a single uberjar we can bundle stripped jre in it as well, including
for usage, kvm agent and systemvm agents. This can be beneficial in project's control wrt
security and CloudStack can still run on platforms that don't have openjdk11 packages. The
effort here I guess would be to create build assemblies or use a maven plugin to export such
a bundle. Thoughts?

Regards,
Rohit Yadav

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.comĀ