cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Johnson <njohn...@ena.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Proposal for EFI firmware support on KVM
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2019 17:46:33 GMT

> On Mar 13, 2019, at 10:56 AM, Nicolas Vazquez <Nicolas.Vazquez@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Nathan,
>
> I propose a similar approach than taken to enable DPDK on guest VMs for KVM: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/2839.
I think you can follow a similar approach here:

> - Add a property to enable EFI on the KVM hosts 'agent.properties' file
> - Pass VM additional configurations (pieces of XML to include on the VM domain) on VM
deployments or stopped VMs. These additional configurations are passed to the hypervisors
only if setting 'enable.additional.vm.configuration' is enabled.

> Regarding letting management server know which hosts are EFI enabled, I think you can
use host capabilities. When agents connect to management server, they send the list of capabilities.
A new capability for EFI can be sent to management server only when the property on agent.properties
is set to true. Host tags is a good approach as well but capabilities will make it more robust
in case host tags are not created.

I will look into this, thanks for the suggestion.  So I guess the deployment planner would
then need to be aware of that specific VM detail at that point - "efi" in this case?

Thanks!

> Regards,
>
> Nicolas Vazquez
>
> ________________________________

und nur f?r den Empf?nger bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der bestimmungsgem??e Empf?nger sein,
ist Ihnen jegliche Offenlegung, Vervielf?ltigung, Weitergabe oder Nutzung des Inhalts untersagt.
Bitte informieren Sie in diesem Fall unverz?glich den Absender und l?schen Sie die E-Mail
(einschlie?lich etwaiger beigef?gter Dateien) von Ihrem System. Vielen Dank.

> The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) are confidential and may be legally
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the
sender immediately and then delete it (including any attachments) from your system. Thank
you.

> Am 13.03.2019 um 15:30 schrieb Nathan Johnson <njohnson@ena.com.invalid<mailto:njohnson@ena.com.invalid>>:
>
> I've put together an approach for EFI support that we would like to get some feedback
on before I create a PR.  Constructive criticism would be appreciated.

> I've added the following properties to be configured in the agent.properties:
>
> guest.loader.efi - boolean to switch efi on.  This must be true before it will inject
any <loader> entries into the domain xml
> guest.loader.image - this would be the path to the bios/efi image
> guest.loader.nvram - this optionally points to an nvram image
>

> Even when a host is configured so that it can use EFI, it will only actually create a
virtual machine when both of the following conditions are met:

> 1) the host has guest.locader.efi set to true in its agent.properties
> 2) the vm has the vm details parameter efi=true
>
> At present there is no automatic way for the management server to know in advance which
hosts have EFI enabled.  I suppose this could be approximated using tags.  It might be nice
to make this more automatic, and have the resource planner aware of the efi toggle on the
VM, but I'm not sure how best to implement that or if it's even worth it.