cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Any plan for 4.11 LTS extension ?
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:46:57 GMT
That is written from the point of view of a developer.

 From someone who has no desire to ever see the code, let alone change
it, EOL has a big impact.
In a normal project, in the period prior to EOL, the developers commit
to fixing bugs and issuing security notices with resolutions.

Cloudstack will have a hard time gaining traction outside the companies
that develop it, if EOL has no meaning.

I worry that the lack of control over the roadmap and the apparent lack
of commitment to EOL means that, as good as Cloudstack may be, it is not
a system for production use unless the user is prepared to take on the
long-term maintenance at a moments notice and live with uncertainty
about future viability.

A bit harsh but the conversation about EOL is disturbing.

Ron

On 3/15/19 11:04 AM, Giles Sirett wrote:
> Yes - I see your point
> I think the thing to bear in mind here is that there is no *formal* EOL for an ACS version
or branch - its open source - EOL effectively  means that people have lost the interest in
maintaining that branch.   If people see a demand for more releases on a branch in order to
maintain that branch  longer- then I'd think it unlikely that anybody here is going to say
"no"