cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Changing description field for usages
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2019 10:40:48 GMT
All,

The current cloudstack usages (obtained via the listUsageRecords API) description is not very
useful in most cases. A PR was merged last year [1] that changes the description to use uuids
instead of internal IDs, however, this may have broken any external tooling/parser/billing-system
that consumes the description text.

To further changes and fix/refactor usage description and responses, please discuss:

-  Is there room for further refactoring and changes to the description string to make them
more useful? For example, the network usage records (bytes sent/received) currently has 'Host:
id' that is irrelevant for the users/admins as it should not matter in most cases where the
network usage was tracked (i.e. which VR).

- Moving forward can we assume that any external tool/parser/consumer of the usage response
should only consume the key/value of the json/xml response? Therefore, can we refactor/change
the description text to be more useful and meaningful for users/admins/operators, and for
backward compatibility all existing keys/value in the API response would be honoured except
for the description field more consumable for humans?

Thanks.

[1]  https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1940

- Rohit

<https://cloudstack.apache.org>