cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Github Issues
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2018 08:09:53 GMT
Using Github issues is already a standard now, for reference this was the voting thread:

https://markmail.org/message/y5zgkssmwp4sh43t

I agree that Github milestone tagging on a pull request is limited to one per PR which I don't
like as well. However, there is a workaround that may be used. A PR can be part of multiple
projects that can have lists of 'todo', 'in progress', 'done' etc. I had experimented with
them here: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/projects

We can experiment if milestone can be used to map a PR towards a release (useful for RM-ing)
and use Github projects towards tagging/mapping a PR towards multiple releases? The other
way in-addition we can explore could be to use Github labels?

- Rohit

<https://cloudstack.apache.org>

________________________________
From: Paul Angus <paul.angus@shapeblue.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 2:23:10 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Cc: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Github Issues

Hi All,

We have been trialling replacing Jira with Github Issues.   I think that we should have a
conversation about it before it become the new standard by default.

From my perspective, I don't like it.  Searching has become far more difficult, categorising
has also. When there is a bug fix it can only be targeted for a single version, which makes
them easy to lose track of, and when looking at milestones issues and PRs get jumbled up and
people are commenting on issues when it should by the PR and vice-versa (yes I've done it
too).
In summary, from an administrative point of view it causes a lot more problems than it solves.

I yield the floor to hear other people's opinions...

Kind regards,

Paul Angus

paul.angus@shapeblue.com
@shapeblue