cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Dag Sonstebo <Dag.Sonst...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Update default template from CentOS 5.5 to CentOS 7
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2018 12:14:19 GMT
Hi Daan,

Appreciate this – but we have to take the use case and audience into account. If we are
to include templates like we have done in the past then the purpose for those is to give end
users a starting point for free and without having to spin up their own templates. We can
and should have a discussion around this – but as a starting point I would say they need
to be:

- A server OS
- License free
- Ready to host light workloads with a few install steps – MySQL, Nginx, etc.

So – in my opinion this points to either a minimal CentOS or Ubuntu server template –
and my vote would be for CentOS7. Machninia is great by all means – and it helps us techies
and developers out - but it’s built to be a lightweight test bench and doesn’t really
give the end user value.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect