cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From <daniel.herrm...@zv.fraunhofer.de>
Subject Re: [PROPOSE] Backup and Recovery Framework
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2018 09:05:32 GMT
Hi all,

+1 for this feature request, thank you for bringing this to life! Volume snapshots are what
our users currently use as backup solution, which has some inherent problems such as handling
large volumes and the handling of multiple volumes (consistency).

One thought: when restoring a VM, I think there are two cases to consider:

- The VM is still in CS and the user just wants to restore an old version of the VM
- The VM has already been deleted and the user wants to restore the deleted VM

As listBackups is described as " listBackups API method. List existing backups for a VM".
Is the second use case supported at all?

I like the approach not to define the backup policies in CS but in whatever tool is used in
the end, as otherwise a lot of features might be lost. We as services providers need to create
them in the first place, but I think this is the better solution.

Regards
Daniel