cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Jayapal Uradi <jayapal.ur...@accelerite.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Why we MARK packets?
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2018 05:03:25 GMT
Rohit,

My comments inline.

On Apr 19, 2018, at 1:52 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com<mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>>
wrote:

Nevermind, found the use of custom routing tables. In case someone want to refer, hints are
here:

https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/2514#issuecomment-382510915

Jayapal and others - I've another one, is there a way to do routing without marking packets
at all, even in case of VRs with additional public interfaces?

AFAIK marking is the only way to do it.
Do you have any performance numbers with and without mark rules.

- Rohit

<https://cloudstack.apache.org<https://cloudstack.apache.org/>>

________________________________
From: Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com<mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:39:02 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org>; users@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:users@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: [DISCUSS] Why we MARK packets?

All,

I could not find any history around 'why' we MARK or CONNMARK packets in mangle table in VRs?
I found an issue in case of VPCs where `MARK` iptable rules failed hair-pin nat (as described
in this PR: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/2514)

The valid usage I found was wrt VPN_STATS, however, the usage is not exported at all, it is
commented:

https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/blob/master/systemvm/debian/opt/cloud/bin/vpc_netusage.sh#L141

Other than for debugging purposes in the VR, marking packets and connections I could not find
any valid use. Please do share if you're using marked packets (such as VPN ones etc) outside
of VR scope?

I propose we remove MARK on packets which is cpu intensive and slows the traffic (a bit),
instead CONNMARK can still be used to mark connections and debug VRs without actually changing
the packet marking permanently. Thoughts?

www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com/><http://www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com/>>
@shapeblue

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com<mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>
www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com/>