cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Enhancement: Use CA framework to enable secured live KVM VM migration
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2018 16:44:31 GMT

On 03/21/2018 10:06 AM, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> Thanks Wido for your comments.
>

> Yes, for any changes to libvirtd the proposal is to re-use cloudstack-setup-agent which
in fact reconfigures libvirtd config at the time of the addition of host and also configure
iptables rule. As part of upgrading a KVM agent, the post-install script (part of deb/rpm
pkg) can also run the same to secure libvirt tls configuration only on KVM hosts that have
any existing certificates/keystore.

Hmm, we might want to be careful with a postinst. I'm not against it
being handled by a postinst, but we should watch out with overwriting
config files without the user knowing.

Wido

> - Rohit
>
> <https://cloudstack.apache.org>

be used to secure addition of KVM hosts and agents (cpvm, ssvm). However, the KVM host agent
may be secured while it communicates to the management server, the live VM migration still
happens on insecure tcp connection.

>> It is proposed to re-use the existing mechanism introduced in 4.11 and re-use host
certificates that are used to secure a KVM host to secure libvirt for allowing secured TLS-enabled
VM migration. Further, the UI may be enhanced to discover unsecured KVM hosts and allow securing
(or renewal/provisioning of certificates) through a button. Please find the FS for the proposed
enhancement: