cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Enhancement: Use CA framework to enable secured live KVM VM migration
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2018 11:12:45 GMT

On 03/23/2018 11:21 AM, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> Wido - fair point, considering this I'll add some notes in our release notes. With the
suggested change, during pkg upgrade libvirtd will not be reconfigured:

> https://github.com/shapeblue/cloudstack-apple/pull/65/commits/9dd93ee3c7b0a31cbd262a51aaed2b325decfbd8

404 ;)

> Instead, KVM hosts that don't meet following conditions will show up as 'unsecure' when
they connect to management server:

> - Host does not have certificates setup at /etc/cloudstack/agent
>
> - Host's libvirtd is not tls enabled with any provisioned certificate

How are you going to check the last part? Would you have the cloudstack
agent read the libvirt config files? That might not work as you might
have SELinux or AppArmor preventing that.

I don't know you can ask libvirt that information when connected to it.

> The admin can then simply choose to provision certificate to secure 'unsecure' hosts
post upgrade via api or the newly added button. This process will provision (or renew) certificates,
configure only tls settings in libvirtd and restart libvirtd and then restart the agent. See
the PR for details. Thanks.

Yes, but that will SSH to the hosts, correct? We for example don't have
SSH from the mgmt server enabled and only populate agent.properties on
the KVM hosts when we add them to CloudStack.

Wido

> - Rohit
>
> <https://cloudstack.apache.org>
>

> ________________________________

which in fact reconfigures libvirtd config at the time of the addition of host and also configure
iptables rule. As part of upgrading a KVM agent, the post-install script (part of deb/rpm
pkg) can also run the same to secure libvirt tls configuration only on KVM hosts that have
any existing certificates/keystore.

> Hmm, we might want to be careful with a postinst. I'm not against it
> being handled by a postinst, but we should watch out with overwriting
> config files without the user knowing.
>
> Wido
>

>> - Rohit
>>
>> <https://cloudstack.apache.org>

be used to secure addition of KVM hosts and agents (cpvm, ssvm). However, the KVM host agent
may be secured while it communicates to the management server, the live VM migration still
happens on insecure tcp connection.

>>> It is proposed to re-use the existing mechanism introduced in 4.11 and re-use
host certificates that are used to secure a KVM host to secure libvirt for allowing secured
TLS-enabled VM migration. Further, the UI may be enhanced to discover unsecured KVM hosts
and allow securing (or renewal/provisioning of certificates) through a button. Please find
the FS for the proposed enhancement:

>>> www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>