cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Potential backward incompatibility problem in building SystemVM
Date Sat, 17 Feb 2018 19:30:32 GMT
Khosrow,

The name 'systemvmtemplate' refers to the name of the folder, the build.sh script now accepts
a folder that has the packer definitions such as the built-in one or any other future packer
based templates. The systemvm template's file name is never used for compatibilities sake,
one can choose whatever name they want and they will be used okay as long as that name is
correctly configured in the global settings. I don't understand the bit about name/compatbility.

Historically, we used to a 32bit template with its definition defined in systemvmtemplate
and then we moved to 64-bit template with introduction of definitions in systemvm64template
folder, and when we did that we added that constraint to remove and rename folders while are
not needed/useful anymore.

Wrt building it's not backward compatible as well, the build process has been changed from
virtualbox+veewee/ruby based to packer+qemu/kvm based so the old script/jobs are broken as
well.

- Rohit

<https://cloudstack.apache.org>

________________________________
From: Khosrow Moossavi <kmoossavi@cloudops.com>
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2018 5:58:59 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Potential backward incompatibility problem in building SystemVM

Hi

I just noticed that the changes [1] in tools/applince/build.sh may break
backward compatibility
of the building process of systemvmtremplate.

In the highlighted (and now removed) line, we used to have a predefined
name as "systemvm64template"
and if one still wants to execute "build.sh systemvm64template ..." (or any
other name they
want) the build will break (becauase of the now new if condition).

Was this intentional to always have a new "systemvmtemplate" as the name or
the new if
condition should be fixed? Super simple to fix anyway.

if [ "systemvmtemplate" != "${appliance_build_name}" ]; then

instead of:

if [ "${appliance}" != "${appliance_build_name}" ]; then

[1]
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/commit/3839239a21fc14a64acc18900ae303961036ef91#diff-68ae31f5f30dae8f541e26b8acbd75eeL247

Khosrow Moossavi
CloudOps